When I started this blog, I highlighted in my profile and social media posts that I was a working mom. I took pride in it, the challenges and craziness of working a demanding job with two kids and a husband. But, after many years of education and 10 years in the field- I quit my job. It feels like the right time to slow down.
I want to say it was a hard decision. But honestly, it was not. Even though I liked my job, where I worked and the people I worked with- quitting felt right. The stress of the job, working an insane amount of hours and feeling like I was always failing at something in my life reached a breaking point. Every time one of my children got sick, my anxiety would skyrocket: how would I work a demanding job and give my child the time needed. I felt as though every moment of my life was either spent working my job or spending time with my children. I had no time for anything else, ever. It was not sustainable to keep that up.
Time to slow down.
The planner in me is excited though for time and room in my life to do the things I have always wanted to do- the things I say I will do when I have time or work is quiet or the kids are older. I get to (try to) do now. So I have been working on a list of the things I want to start with.
What am I going to do now?
1. Focus on this blog. I have so many ideas, I can’t wait to explore growing this blog.
2. Learn Spanish. I had this goal when I was home on maternity leave with my first child, but now, my leave has no end date and I am going to commit to being consistent with learning Spanish.
3. Getting to exercise, take care of myself. I am ashamed how many times I skipped showering when working because I did not have time. Or times I skipped a workout to get some work done for my job. This is going to be hard with two kids, but it is definitely something I want to focus on. At least showering consistently.
4. Organize my home. My house is a mess, I need to declutter and organize.
5. Take a photography class. I have always wanted to learn how to take amazing pictures, this is something I hopefully have time for now.
6. Be more creative. I do not know how exactly, maybe using my Cricut or painting, which I loved to do. I am going to do it.
7. Garden. I love my garden and I cannot wait to have more time to work in it.
8. Catch up on podcasts, and books, and tv shows. I have lists and lists of podcasts, tv shows and books that people have told me about and I never had the time to watch or listen to. I also want to check out all the services offered at my local library.
9. Take the time to cook and bake. I love meal prepping and using my slow cooker. But I have a lot of recipes in my “to try” list.
#10 actually is going to be hard, maybe the hardest on the list. I don’t know how to take time to slow down. I have never NOT had a job or been working toward a job or a goal. But for the first time, I am just going to try to relax and enjoy life and where I am right now.
Learn From My Mistakes- Summer Garden Fails
Leave a Reply