If you are expecting Baby #2, you are probably thinking you must have everything- or you know exactly what you do need. But you are forgetting some important things, I am sure of it, because I was just in your place. Unlike with Baby #1, when prepping was a fun activity that you had all the time in the world for, you are now chasing after Baby #1 while trying to prep for Baby #2.
You have also probably realized you do not need everything. It is a lesson you learn after having Baby #1- babies really do not need a lot of “stuff.” Plus, they grow so quickly, you are going have a ton of things like swings and bouncers which they do not use after a few months and are now just filling up your house.
However, you do need to prepare for Baby #2. Here is my short list of five things you should remember to buy before Baby #2 arrives:
- Bottle parts. You probably have bottles, but what about nipples in newborn size? Or what about all those bottle pieces you misplaced? Before Baby #2 gets here, take a look at what bottle parts you still have and evaluate what you may need to purchase.
- Plastic Gloves. You will be doing a lot of quick diaper changes for Baby #2 while chasing after Baby #1. Disposable plastic gloves will without a doubt come in handy for these quick diaper changes. These gloves are also good when changing diapers on the go and there isn’t a bathroom nearby for you to wash up. Here is a link to ones I have ordered many times.
- Seasonal items. My Baby #1 was a fall baby, but Baby #2 was born in the summer. I did not think about summer hats and lighter weight clothes until I first went out with Baby #2 to a park. Evaluate what you have from Baby #1 and what will work for the season Baby #2 is born during.
- Second baby monitor. Your current monitor may not be able to add a second unit- so if you are still using your monitor for Baby #1, you may need a second monitor. I used an audio one for Baby #1, which I still use and love, but went with a video monitor for Baby #2. I read that adding a second audio monitor may interfere with the first monitor, I did not test that out, so I just went with a video monitor.
- Baby nail file. Don’t forget baby nails are like tiny needles when they grab you. Clipping those baby nails gave me a lot of anxiety- until I purchased tiny baby nail files. I repurchased with Baby #2 and consider the nail files a must have. Here is a link to the nail files I used for my babies.
Do not forget to check if any of the items you used for Baby #1 were recalled. Between having my two kids, several items I had stored in case I had a second baby were recalled and I had no idea. Before Baby #2 comes, it is a good time to look over what you have, check how the items have held up over time, what may need a deep clean- and double check if any of those items have had a recall since you last used.
Links in this post are affiliate links, I earn a commission from qualifying purchases.