I spend a lot of time in my garden and truly enjoy being outdoors. So does my toddler. He loves helping me in the garden. He can be helpful, but sometimes I need to distract him so I can get some things done in the garden. If you have a toddler, you know that a 5 minute chore can easily turn into something that takes an hour because your toddler is “helping.”
My kids have a ton of toys, but I consider this list the 5 best toys for the summer as they are simple and inexpensive toys that provide hours of entertainment.
Here are my top 5 summer outdoor toys for toddlers.
- Splash Pad. My son asks to play with his splash pad in the dead of winter, at 4 am, in the car- he loves this thing and cannot wait for a hot day for us to set up. I can’t find a link to the splash pad I bought, but here is a similar one. This type of splash pad is easy to set up and are hours of entertainment. All you need is a hose to attach. It also folds up pretty small for when you’re not using.
- Sidewalk chalk. Chalk can be used in so many ways, from letting your toddler just draw, to practicing drawing letters and shapes. Our new favorite activity with chalk is to draw an “obstacle course.” This is a simply, cheap item to have on hand that your child will always find ways to play with.
- Bubbles. Kids just love bubbles. Sometimes the simplest toys are the best. Yes, they can make a huge mess, but playing with bubbles never seems to get old for my son. I recommend buying a large container of bubbles to play with and to refill other bubble toys (bubble wands, bubble guns).
- A garden pot just for your child. Seriously, you do not need to even have a plant in it. But give your child a pot that is his or her pot with soil to dig in and water as much as they want. If your child is older, they can plant seeds in it. But it is never too early to start gardening.
- Toy Lawn Mower. We have had a toy lawn mower for three years and my son still plays with it constantly. Here is the link to the one my son loves. Seriously, he has played with this toy since he was 1- and nearly three years later he continually pulls it out to play with. It is light weight, easy to bring places and is hours of entertainment for my son. The mower makes a clicking noise, which he loves, but is not too loud that would be scary to other children. We have never used the bubble feature, my son simply likes to “mow” the lawn. I feel like I am also starting him on the path of loving lawn maintenance, like me.
These 5 toys are my toddlers favorite outdoor summer toys- and help me keep him busy while I work outside. Does your toddler enjoy any of these toys?
Links in this post are affiliate links, I earn a commission from qualifying purchases.